Saturday, March 1, 2008

Sette Osteria -- Dupont Circle

Last Wednesday night, we ventured out to Dupont Circle... or as Gary likes to call it, "The Pont". Gary insists that all the cool people in NW DC call it "The Pont" (or maybe it's "Da 'pont", I'm not sure). If there is anyone in DC who actually refers to Dupont Circle as "The Pont" in normal conversation (or in any conversation for that matter), kindly raise your hand now.

Mmmmmkay, didn't think so. Anyway, we had been to Sette Osteria for pizza in our pre-blog days and thought it was excellent, so we figured it was time for another visit to see if it was still living up to its previous standards.

Gary ordered a melanzane (eggplant, roasted red peppers, onions) pizza-- he's a big eggplant fan-- and I got a pizza called La Regina. Okay, here's my quibble with Sette Osteria. They have a "margherita" pizza that has mozzerella, tomato sauce, and basil. The La Regina pizza has buffalo mozzerella, tomato sauce, and basil. Peeps, a margherita pizza is supposed to have buffalo mozzerella! I am just saying.

Inaccurate naming aside, the La Regina was excellent. The cheese was fabulous, it had just the right amount of sauce, and it was flavorful and sweet. The crust was nice and crispy-- almost a little too crispy in my opinion. I like when there's a little chewiness to the crust. It was good for reheating, though.

Gary was served some mushroom pizza. We knew it was a mushroom pizza because the waitress said, "Mushroom pizza" before putting it in front of him (well, actually in front of me first... it was all quite confusing). Gary said, "I had the melanzane" and the waitress said, "Yes, that's the melanzane." Gary, being a dude, just shrugged and dug in. (It's food, right?) As he was about to take a bite, one of the runners swooped in and took the pizza and gave him the right one. I'm not sure what happened to the 'shroom pizza, but I think it got served to the lady next to us. At least Gary didn't put a big ol' bite into it!

Gary's review of the melanzane pizza: "I thought the pizza tasted excellent. Mine had a strong red pepper flavor that I liked, even though it kind of dominated the eggplant. But eggplant doesn't really have a strong flavor anyway. The quality of the pizza was top notch."

Gary goes on: "I liked the crust a lot. It was crispy, and not overdone. I also liked that the menu had a 'history of pizza' section. Who doesn't need a little reminder of the history of pizza? I know I do."

Gary's rating: 4 stars
Liza's rating: 3.5 stars

7 comments:

James in Washington said...

Umm. I call it the "Circle". Never heard of the "Pont". I guess it works if you are French and there is a bridge there...

Anonymous said...

Everyone I know calls it Dupont. Calling it "the circle" is a little presumptuous and vague, seeing as there are lots of other circles in town.

Anonymous said...

I have heard it referred to as "The Pont" before, but I personally prefer "The Fruit Loop" to refer to the circle proper or the "Gayborhood" for the general area...

Anonymous said...

I respectfully submit that y'all check out Moroni & Brothers, located on the west side of Georgia Avenue, btwn Decatur & Delafield.

Sorority in the City said...

Never heard of it referred to as "da pont," but I avoid the area at all costs. Not so much a fan.

Anonymous said...

I have to say that I love this article. thanks for this informational blog click here for detail of pizza products and pizza coupon

Pizzablogger said...

Looks like I am going here pretty soon. Wanna joing us?

BTW, in Naples you will often see pizze margherita with fior-di-late in lieu of mozzarella di bufala.