Monday, November 5, 2007

Red Rocks-- Columbia Heights

We're nothing if not trendy, so when we saw Red Rocks reviewed in the WaPo, we had to try the pizza at this new hotspot. We're also nothing if not geographically challenged-- when I told Gary we were going up to Columbia Heights, he looked at me strangely and said, "Is that in DC?" Yes dear, that is in DC.

Red Rocks really is a cute little place. It's in a converted rowhouse. We sat upstairs, and Gary mused that "we're eating in what used to be someone's bedroom." Indeed. I suggest asking to be seated upstairs; the downstairs was LOUD and crowded. They have some great happy hour specials, which we just barely made under the wire (we had the $4 house wines).

Service was a little slow, but friendly. I was a bit put off by the fact that every piece of dishware on the table had a chip or crack in it. But I digress. The pizza...

... was fabulous. I had my usual margherita, and Gary had a pesto pie.

The margherita was perfection. The crust was thin, light, chewy; the sauce had both a tang and a sweetness to it, and the cheese was SO fresh. The pesto pizza was good too, but that margherita... I am getting hungry just thinking about it.

Liza's rating: 4 stars, yes, 4 stars, people!
Gary's rating: 3.5 stars

As an aside, we went to Wonderland, a bar just down the street, for a drink afterwards. THEY HAVE MS. PACMAN. This makes Wonderland the best bar ever.

5 comments:

Anthony said...

Putting Red Rocks and 2Amy's head to head, who would win, and why?

Liza and Gary said...

Good question, Anthony. I think I (Liza) would have to go with Red Rocks... better crust and sauce, IMO. Gary is still sold on 2 Amys.

They are both great, though! :)

Anonymous said...

thanks! my wife is the pickiest pizza-eater ever (grew up in italy), and loves 2 amys but always wants to try something new -- so we're off to red rocks tonight! :)

sK said...

i know this review was 2 years ago, but i suggest you revisit red rocks. we've been 2-3 times now and each time we get a droopy crust. the flavors are good, but it requires a knife and fork which is NOT how pizza should be.

i've learned my lesson and now that i no longer live in the hood, won't be going out of my way to get there.

Carlos said...

I too agree a knife and fork are needed. But love this place. I did find a coupon for them at printable-pizza-coupons.com that saved me like 15 dollars overall.